Build better jobs
Key Learning Outcomes
- Recognise that a job needs to be structured so it motivates and engages an employee.
- Learn about the five key job characteristics.
- Identify employees’ three core psychological states: meaningfulness, responsibility and knowledge of results.
- Adopt our job design strategies to enhance employee motivation.
Job design is about how to build a better job. It is not just about ensuring that the tasks get done as efficiently as possible, but also ensuring that you are designing a job that will promote motivation and engagement in your employee. It has been shown that improvements in employee engagement levels have a direct impact on a business’s productivity and profitability.
When looking at job design, there are a number of core job characteristics that increase job satisfaction and motivation. American researchers and scholars Richard Hackman and Greg Oldham developed their job characteristic model in 1980. The model outlines five core job characteristics that can lead to three critical psychological states. In turn, these can produce the positive outcomes of work motivation, satisfaction and work effectiveness. The five core job characteristics are as follows:
- Skill variety – The use of different skills and talents to complete a variety of work activities.
- Task identity – The degree to which a job requires completion of a whole or identifiable piece of work.
- Task significance – The degree to which the job affects the business and/or larger society.
- Autonomy – The freedom to make decisions and use discretion in regard to work scheduling and procedures used to complete the work.
- Feedback – The degree to which employees can tell how well they are doing based on direct feedback.
Would you like to start driving positive changes in your business? Would you like to see increased productivity and profitability? Of course you would!
As part of our commitment to being a low cost yet highly effective service to help owners and managers of small to medium sized business, we are now offering the first month of your membership for just $1! This means you will get full access to all of the learning articles, tools and tips that our website has to offer and with a commitment to upload at least another 150 learning articles through 2015 there is also plenty more learning on the way. On top of this you will also receive our weekly newsletter to keep you updated on new learning for the week and much, much more!
You can cancel at any time, however, if you see the value in what we’re offering (and we’re sure you will!) your membership will automatically continue after your trial at the low cost of just $19.95 per month. So what are you waiting for? For just $1 you are getting full access to all of our content for 30 days risk-free, so come on and join our community today!
Success is giving it your Absolute Best!